Tuesday, March 18, 2008

This ain't cheap BUT


I have been looking for an alternative dishwasher detergent and finally I have found one that I can live with. Attitude brand dishwasher detergent. Its less expensive than some of the others and a one liter bottle does 26 loads. At $5.99 a pop ( ..thats right FIVE NINETY-NINE!!! ACK!!!!) its not as cheap as the clorine and phosphate laden ones but it is better for the environment and has not been leaving etching on my glasses. Contains tea tree oil and that'll jack up the price of anything.
For the dishes in the sink I have been buying Bio-Vert. They too make a dishwasher liquid but its really liquidy and I think you use twice as much.
A laundry soap I have been loving is Presidents Choice Green 3X concentrated for cold water washing. So far its rockin' my world. A much smaller bottle means less plastic packaging in your recycle bin, a lighter lift for pouring or carrying to a laundrette, takes less space in the cabinets. Less water in the product means that less water was used in production AND you use less product than less concentrated detergents. It meets biodegradable standards and is fragrance and colourant free as well. Its really been doing a great job in my HE washer unlike some other detergents that have left me wanting. Best of all? The Price! ONLY $4.99 for 26 loads (compare that to some bigger bottles and brands). So, to recap: less expensive, effective in cold water saving you money on heating water, wastes less water in production, less packaging for the recycle...its all good.
Stain fighter I love: The laundry bar from The Soapworks. I find this brand in health food stores and bulk food stores like The Bulk Barn chain. These soaps have no packaging and are displayed for purchase in a wooden rack/case. The laundry bar gets out stains that I gave up on! Its works better than fancy schmancy grand name stain removers. One bar lasts a LONG time. I cut mine up into small chunks and only use a chunk at a time so the whole bar doesn't get ooky in the soap dish on the laundry sink. The rest are stored in the paper sack I brought it home in. I'm still on the first chunk and its been a few months. Not bad for less than two bucks.

No comments: